Percy Bysshe Shelley – Life and Works
P.B. Shelley – Life and Works : Friends, in Today’s post, we will learn about the life of Percy Bysshe Shelley and the important facts related to it and will also throw light on his literary works.
Percy Bysshe Shelley : Life
Percy Bysshe Shelley – Life : Percy Bysshe Shelley was a famous Romantic Poet and Dramatist of 19th Century. he belongs to Younger or Junior Generation of Romantic Poets Like John Keats and Byron.
|P.B. SHELLEY||Percy Bysshe Shelley|
|Born :||4 August, 1792, Horsham, Sussex, England|
|Died :||8 July, 1822, Gulf of la Spezia, Kingdom of Sardinia (at the age of 29)|
|Occupation :||Poet, Dramatist, Essayist, Novelist|
|Parents :||Timothy Shelley (Father)|
Elizabeth Pilfold (Mother)
|Education :||University College, Oxford (No Degree taken by Shelley)|
|Spouse :||Harriet Westbrook (died in 1816)|
Mary Shelley (1816)
|Best Known Works :||Ode to the West Wind, The Masque of Anarchy|
Percy Bysshe Shelley : Important Facts about his Life
Shelley’s theory of Economics and Morality had an influence on Karl Marx, Leo Tolstoy who influenced Gandhi and through him Martin Luther.
- He received his early education at Home, tutored by the Evan Edward.
- His Cousin and life long friend : Thomas Medwin who lived nearby, recounted his early childhood in his The Life of Percy Bysshe Shelley.
- In 1811, 19 Years Old Shelley eloped to scotland with 16 years old Harriet Westbrook Who later drowned in the Serpentine in Hyde Park, London.
- Shelley was key Member of close circle of visionary poets and writers : Lord Byron, Leigh Hunt, Thomas Love Peacock And Mary Shelley – (His Wife).
- Shelley became Lodestion to the 3/4 generation of poets – Victorian Poets, Pre Raphaelite Poets – Robert Browning, Dante Rossetti.
- Admired by Oscar Wilde, G.B. Shaw, Hardy, Leo Tolstoy, W.B.Yeats, Bertrand Russell.
Shelley – Baits – Shelly entered Eton College where he was subjected to a Mob Torment by older boys, Who Called this incident – Shelley Baits.
- Young Shelley would have his books torn from his hands and his clothes pulled at and torn until – ” Cracked Soprano ” of a Voice.
Shelley also had a platonic relationship with Elizabeth Hitchener – 28 Years Old unmarried School teacher, Whom shelley called – “Sister of my soul ” and ” My Second Self”
- Shelley travelled in England’s Lake District where he visited the poet Robert Southey.
- He also wrote two revolutionary political tracts under Nom De Plume (Psyudonym or Pen Name), The Hermit of Marlow on Boxing Day
- Death – in 1822, Shelley drowned in a sudden storm on the Gulf of Spezia while returning from Leghron to Lerici in his sailing boat The Don Juan.
- He was returning from having setup – The Liberal with Leigh Hunt.
- Don Juan – a compliment to Byron, was chosen by Edward John Trelawny.
- Hunt, Byron and Trelawny joined funeral of Shelley But Hunt did not observe the cremation and Byron left early.
- Two Englishman – Edward Elerker Williams, Charles Vivien also with Shelley on the Boat.
- Shelley’s Body was Washed ashore and Later, kept with quarantin regulation and cremated on the beach near Viareggio.
- In Shelley’s Pocket was a small books of Keats Poetry. then Byron says :
” I never met a man who was not a beast in comparison to him.”
- Shelley ashes were interred in the Protestant Cemetery in Rome.
When Shelley’s body had been buried, his friend Edward Trelawny had snatched the whole heart from the pyre.This heart had been buried with Shelley’s son Percy.
- All account remains in the Churchyard of St. Peter’s Church, Bournemouth.
Percy Bysshe Shelley : Works
Percy Bysshe Shelley – Works :Shelley’s Major Works lists are here :
|Zastrozzi : A Romance – Gothic Novel||1810|
|The Necessity of Atheism||1811|
|The Devil’s Walk : A Ballad||1812|
|Queen Mab : A Philosophical Poem; with Notes||1813|
|Alastor, or the spirit of Solitude : And other poems||1815|
|Mont Blanc : lines written in the vale of Chamouni||1816|
|Hymn to intellectual beauty||1817|
|Laon and Cythna or the Revolution of the Golden City : A vision of the 19th Centuary||1817|
|The Revolt of Islam||1818|
|Rosalind and Helen, A modern Eclogue; with other Poems – A poem collection||1819|
|The Cenci, A tragedy, in five Acts||1819|
|Ode to the West Wind – an ode||1819-1820|
|The Masque of Anarchy : a british political poem||1819|
|England in 1819 : A Political sonnet||1819|
|A philosophical view of Reform||1819-20|
|To a Skylark – poem||1820|
|The Cloud – poem||1820|
|The witch of Atlas : Major poetic work||1820|
|Adonais : An elegy on the death of John Keats, Author of Endymion, Hyperion etc.||1821|
|A defence of poetry||1821|
|The triumph of life – last major Work||1822|
|Wolfstein; or the mysterious Bandit||1822|
|Julian and Maddalo – poem||1824|
|Collaborations with Mary Shelley :||Time|
|History of six week’s Tour||1817|
|Frankenstein or the modern Prometheus||1818|
|Prospine – a verse drama written for children in blank verse||1820|
|Midas – a verse drama in blank verse||1820|
|Other Works :||Time|
|Music, When soft voices die||1824|
Read Also :
A Request :
Friends! Hope you have liked the information given by us about “PB Shelley : Life and Works”. If You have any questions or suggestions, Please comment below and tell us. We will try our best to help you.
If You like the notes then don’t forget to share your friends on social media. Thank you for reading the notes and stay on our website ..!